Canyon of the Naiad by BryanSwan



Prior to visiting Iceland, I had no idea this place existed. While staying in Reykjavik I was doing some last minute research on a couple of waterfalls I wanted to visit, and randomly happened across the name of one which was supposed to be somewhere around Skaftafell. So I stuffed that in the back of my mind as my friend and I set out to drive the Ring Road. Fast forward three days, and I was casually scanning the mountainsides looking for things to shoot when I noticed a sliver of a waterfall in the distance. Almost immediately my friend points that direction and says "there's a car driving over there". I don't think I could have stood on the brakes any harder. So we turned down this really, REALLY awful gravel barely-a-road (even by Iceland standards), following another truck towards who knows what, and it just ends. I get out and look around and there's a faint trail. The occupants of the other truck went off ahead of us, so we said "why the hell not?" and started up after them. Eventually we caught up and asked if they knew where the trail went - they had no idea either. So after maybe an hour of hiking up the ridge line, we come to the rim of the canyon and boom, this view opens up and my jaw just about slammed to the ground. I could have spent an entire day shooting here, but the weather was getting ugly, the clouds were quickly dropping and it started raining shortly after. For those curious about scale here, the waterfall on the right is just over 400-feet tall, and the one on the left is about 175-feet tall, and about half a mile (almost 1km) up the canyon from where I stood to take this. via 500px http://ift.tt/1uKh4tv

No comments: