OBVIOUSLY: VIEW IT ON BLACK!!! (this is already getting posted brighter than I want) A recent foray into the most remote coastal mountains of Alaska and British Columbia I undertook was shortened somewhat by an 11-day long weather delay just to helicopter into the range! After that wait came 6 days of clouds and storms wherein I was unable to position the catches I wanted to cover as much ground on foot as I had intended. ....and then it cleared. And when it cleared it did so for several days strait! It was a difficult trip for me, but successful in the sense that I finally did see these peaks I have dreamed of looking at maps for years. What you are looking at here is one of the largest alpine faces in the entirety of the North American continent, the west face of Mount Chutine, rising 9000 vertical feet sheer from a huge lake below. Despite an immensity that rivals even Patagonian peaks I have photographed, an internet search for pictures of it reveals practically nothing, such is the remoteness of the location. Below Chutine was the yet-unfrozen Chutine Lake, 10km long, which produced an ever-present formation of mist over it in the cold air. In fact, although the air temperature on this second night was only -10C, it very quickly dropped to -25C for a lot of the remainder of the trip and compositional options like this one quickly disappeared under the ice. I will be back here someday. This trip yielded few images but the ones I did come back with I am very happy about. The possibilities here are great....when the weather FINALLY does clear off. In fact, the best aurora I saw was driving back through Dease Lake on my way home! I am now looking forward to some much deserved time with family through the holidays. Thanks for looking. This is multiple exposures blended for all sorts of things from exposure to DOF, at ISO's ranging between 3200 and 12,000 on a D810.
from 500px http://ift.tt/1uxbYMY
via IFTTT
No comments:
Post a Comment